Friday, June 6, 2008

Trashing Toys




Getting Amzie to pick up her toys is almost always a big ordeal. We have whining, crying, delaying tactics, more whining, etc. We have threatened many times that if she can't pick up her toys then we are going to throw them away. Well the other night I guess J.Paul had had enough and said that if she didn't start picking up her toys that he was really going to throw them away. She said she didn't care so he got a trash bag and proceeded to fill it up with toys. Well, she really didn't care. He filled it up and took it out. A few minutes later she was fussing in her room. We thought she was getting upset about her trashed toys. Wrong, J.Paul went to check on her and she had hurt her toe. Basically this all didn't work out how we had planned. Any suggestions? When J.Paul put the trash on the curb yesterday he put the bag of toys in his trunk. I was thinking that if she gets to missing her toys we can write a letter to the trash man asking for them back? What if she never cares? Man, this really backfired.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so Funny! I have had this too! Just keep doing it! When she has no toy's to play with she will be sad! Then you can slowly start giving them back if she keeps them put up! It will be Fun for her because she will see toys she has not seen in awhile! (hopefully) Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

We went through this too. What we ended up doing is picking things up one by one and asking her if she wanted to keep it or not, if she said yes then we told her that she'd have to put it away that very moment or it was being given away. We also made it easy for her. We got tired of our house looking like Toys R' Us and I bought an enormous trunk. All of her toys go in there so picking up is super simple and our house looks like a house again. :) I also went through her things after she went to bed and weeded out a lot of junk. Anything that I didn't want to save for Ava went to Goodwill, and believe me, lots went and she still hasn't noticed.

Glad your Mother's Day dinner went well! Sorry we missed you in Linden, we'll see you next time.

Nancy :)

Anonymous said...

I have an idea......how about a good spanking!!!

Audra said...

I did this same thing with Maddie. She never cared, except I did because she wasn't left with much to play with & I had studying to do at that time.
She still doesn't care about stuff, so I have to "reward" with things she wants or take away tv - that pretty much always works. At least she's not a materialist!

Aaron Waite said...

Marlena, keep in mind you now have a clean family room floor. Everybody wins! If you want to do a toy trade come over and we can swap them out.

The Bohne's said...

hahaha! We've tried this same thing several times. It never seems to work....the kids just forget about the toys (probably because they have so many), until they find the bag out in the garage, then it's like new toys to them. Good luck! If you find something that works, let me know.

THE BLAIRS said...

i have no clue?? We haven't gotten that far yet. We just don't fight yet.. but its coming! let me know what works ok.