Monday, May 9, 2011

Bday #33

What a great birthday I had. I could tell J and Amz were cooking up some plans, and Amz was so excited and was doing a count down. That girl likes to sleep in, but there she was, in our room before 7 am. When I barely opened my eyes she said sweetly "Happy birthday Mommy!" J.Paul got up with her and shortly thereafter I heard him get Camryn, so I went back to sleep. Happy day! When I got up at 8:30, they were busy making me waffles (from scratch) for breakfast. We had a yummy breakfast, and I opened my cards and gifts. We spent the rest of the day just hanging out until it was time for our date.

We are big fans of the show Top Chef, so we decided that for my birthday we would go eat at one of the top chef's restaurants, as there are several in Chicago. We decided on Girl and the Goat, the new restaurant of Stephanie Izard, winner of season 3 (I think). I tried to make reservations, but there were none available until the end of June. I read on the website that they also take walk ins so we decided to take our chances and went early. We were told it would be an hour 15 min. wait. After about 1 1/2 hrs., we were shown to our table. Luckily it was worth the wait. I like food, and this food was delicious. First we had beet bread. I wish I could remember all the fancy names with all the ways things were prepared, but I don't. Then we had these delicious green beans. I never knew green beans could taste so delicious.




Then we had the baby octopus. This was my least favorite, but still tasty.




We then had confit goat belly with crab and lobster meat. Very delicious (but I forgot to take a picture of that one.) Our last dish was roasted pig face. Yes I said pig face. When reading the reviews before going everyone was saying that the green beans and pig face were a must. I told J.Paul since he is a more adventurous eater than I and thought he might be interested in trying it. After our waitress resolved some concerns ("No it's not a whole face staring at you") we decided to try. Basically the meat was cheek meat. It was crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. You break the yolk of the egg on top and mix everything all together. It was really good.




We weren't too intersted in the desert options and decided to instead head over to Ghirardelli's and get a brownie sundae. Good decision.


Sunday was of course Mother's day so more presents and cards. Lucky me! What a sweet little family I have. J.Paul said that he thought and planned more about my bday this year than he ever has. It is sooo nice to have him done with school...

2 comments:

lelu said...

Baby octopus? Goat belly? Pig face? Uh, sounds delicious! Glad you had a great birthday!

Carolyn said...

I was first impressed with the baby octopus, then goat belly... but pig face! You kind of blew me away! And now I want to try pig face. ...actually, you know, I've looked into raising a pig for meat. :) Now I know what to do with the cheeks. Ha!

...and I just noticed Le's comment and we pretty much said the same thing. Except for raising our own pig.

I miss you. Happy Birthday, and I have made you something pretty cool. I need to send it asap!